Happy Shrimp Couscous
Sep. 11th, 2007 08:22 amTrying to get a move on with trying new dishes. I've been falling back on cooking familiar dishes but have still made a reasonable dent in my goal to try 50 new receipes. Any nominations for yummy and/or easy recipes to help nudge me along are welcomed.
I made this couscous dish up! That surprised me. And Brian really likes it. The first time I made it, he was disappointed that there wasn't enough for seconds. The seasoned shrimp mixes well with the crunch of the pine nuts. The cranberries add a bit of sweetness. Part of me wants to add a vegetable to the mix but I can't decide what to use. Peas? Diced carrots? Spinach? I just don't know. But I hope you enjoy this recipe. It tastes great and doesn't require much effort.
Happy Shrimp Couscous
1 small onion (minced)
4 cloves garlic (minced)
shrimp (1-2 cups?) (shells removed)
Old Bay seasoning
1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1 cup couscous
some minced parsley to garnish (optional)
1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
Note: This is enough for a light dinner for 2. Next time around, for a slightly more filling dinner for 2, I went with 1.5 cups couscous and 1.5 cups water.

thread at food_porn

I made this couscous dish up! That surprised me. And Brian really likes it. The first time I made it, he was disappointed that there wasn't enough for seconds. The seasoned shrimp mixes well with the crunch of the pine nuts. The cranberries add a bit of sweetness. Part of me wants to add a vegetable to the mix but I can't decide what to use. Peas? Diced carrots? Spinach? I just don't know. But I hope you enjoy this recipe. It tastes great and doesn't require much effort.
Happy Shrimp Couscous
1 small onion (minced)
4 cloves garlic (minced)
shrimp (1-2 cups?) (shells removed)
Old Bay seasoning
1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1 cup couscous
some minced parsley to garnish (optional)
1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- Soak the cranberries in a little hot water to plump them up a bit.
- In a medium-size pot with high sides, bring a cup of water with 1/4 teaspoon salt to a boil. When it reaches a boil, stir in the couscous, cover and set aside for at least 5 minutes.
- Heat vegetable in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Add onions and stir until they start to become tranlucent. Add garlic and keep stirring for another minute or two.
- Add shrimp and sprinkle Old Bay seasoning over the mixture. Stir until shrimp is done cooking.
- Add the shrimp mixture, cranberries, and toasted pine nuts to the couscous mixture and mix well.
- Garnish with parsley if desired and serve.
Note: This is enough for a light dinner for 2. Next time around, for a slightly more filling dinner for 2, I went with 1.5 cups couscous and 1.5 cups water.

thread at food_porn

no subject
Date: 2007-09-11 09:02 am (UTC)along those lines though, a really easy recipe for a side dish is to get a bunch of different varieties of beets, cut the tops off, put them in aluminum foil, drizzle with balsamic vinegar and roast them in the oven for an hour or so. they peel fairly easily after they've cooled a bit, but the red ones stain your hands so you might want to use gloves.
no subject
Date: 2007-09-11 09:37 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2007-09-11 10:12 am (UTC)Have you made mapo tofu yet? It's quick, easy, and healthy, especially if you use a fiber thickener instead of cornstarch for the sauce.
no subject
Date: 2007-09-11 09:38 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2007-09-12 01:18 am (UTC)Corn starch isn't unhealthy unless you're counting carbs and calories for dietary concerns--it's typically a no-no for low-carb dieters and diabetics. By itself, what ends up on your place isn't bad (5-7 carbs), but in addition to what you have throughout the day ... eh, well, it adds up.
no subject
Date: 2007-09-17 07:33 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2007-09-11 12:55 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2007-09-11 09:39 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2007-09-11 01:58 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2007-09-11 09:40 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2007-09-12 12:37 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2007-09-17 07:31 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2007-09-11 05:21 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2007-09-11 09:41 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2007-09-12 03:54 pm (UTC)I actually ran out of ras al hanout the other day and made a substitute of cumin, allspice and cayenne pepper. Not exactly the same thing - but vaguely similar.
no subject
Date: 2007-09-11 09:03 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2007-09-11 09:44 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2007-09-11 09:45 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2007-09-17 07:30 am (UTC)