Roasted Honey and Soy Sauce Chicken
Sep. 9th, 2007 05:28 pmTime for more home-cooked food posts. Here's an easy recipe that takes hardly any time to whip together. Ten minutes to put the marinade together and then come back in a few hours to pop it into a preheated oven. The longer I left it in the oven, the crispier the skin got while the meat stayed pretty moist. One time though, I left it in for over an hour and came back to find the skin had kinda blackened. Still tasted good but wasn't photogenic. While the chicken is in the oven, I made the five-spice vegetables for a side dish. Another really easy recipe. Both recipes are behind the cut.
Roasted Honey and Soy Sauce Chicken
6 chicken thighs, bone and skin still on.
Marinade:
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup honey
1 tsp five-spice powder
1 tsp sesame oil
3 cloves garlic (minced)
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1-2 slices fresh ginger
-----
Five Spice Vegetables
Vegetables (cut into bite-size pieces):
carrots
broccoli
cauliflower
zucchini
Seasoning:
five-spice powder
white pepper
garlic salt
You can change the vegetable mix to whatever you like most or have on hand. Five-spice powder is available in Asian groceries for cheap. Heat a tablespoon of vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Add the vegetables and sprinkle the seasonings on to taste. How much? I'm not sure. I sprinkled it on pretty liberally a few times while stirring. Stir fry until the vegetables have reached their desired tenderness (about 10-15 minutes?)

thread at food_porn
thread at vegrecipes

Roasted Honey and Soy Sauce Chicken
6 chicken thighs, bone and skin still on.
Marinade:
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup honey
1 tsp five-spice powder
1 tsp sesame oil
3 cloves garlic (minced)
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1-2 slices fresh ginger
- Combine marinade in large bowl. Add chicken and toss to coat.
- Cover and refrigerate 4-8 hours (guessing on time), turning occasionally
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Arrange chicken on a baking sheet, skin side up.
- Roast for 40-50 minutes until chicken is thoroughly cooked.
-----
Five Spice Vegetables
Vegetables (cut into bite-size pieces):
carrots
broccoli
cauliflower
zucchini
Seasoning:
five-spice powder
white pepper
garlic salt
You can change the vegetable mix to whatever you like most or have on hand. Five-spice powder is available in Asian groceries for cheap. Heat a tablespoon of vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Add the vegetables and sprinkle the seasonings on to taste. How much? I'm not sure. I sprinkled it on pretty liberally a few times while stirring. Stir fry until the vegetables have reached their desired tenderness (about 10-15 minutes?)

thread at food_porn
thread at vegrecipes

no subject
Date: 2007-09-09 06:04 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2007-09-09 11:25 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2007-09-09 06:06 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2007-09-16 08:57 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2007-09-09 08:00 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2007-09-09 08:02 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2007-09-09 09:40 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2007-09-09 09:20 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2007-09-09 09:22 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2007-09-09 09:36 pm (UTC)http://busycooks.about.com/od/homemademixes/r/chinese5spicmix.htm
no subject
Date: 2007-09-16 08:58 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2007-09-09 10:59 pm (UTC)* 1 tsp. ground Szechwan pepper
* 1 tsp. ground star anise
* 1-1/4 tsp. ground fennel seeds
* 1/2 tsp. ground cloves
* 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
* 1/2 tsp. salt
* 1/4 tsp. ground white pepper
You can also buy on Amazon.com for a couple bucks.
Try looking for "Chinese 5 spice" it's often in the "Shilling" spice rack in the grocery stores.
Personally, I like the herbs and spices on www.burrowsbay.com They have Chinese 5 spice, too.
no subject
Date: 2007-09-09 10:24 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2007-09-11 08:14 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2007-09-09 11:00 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2007-09-09 11:00 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2007-09-09 11:28 pm (UTC)The main reason I used the 5-spice was that I have a TON of it and have no idea what to do with it.
no subject
Date: 2007-09-10 06:07 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2007-09-11 08:14 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2007-09-13 10:36 pm (UTC)I just use it as seasoning in stir-fry and such....
no subject
Date: 2007-09-10 09:37 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2007-09-11 08:20 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2007-09-11 08:30 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2007-09-11 08:39 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2007-09-11 08:43 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2007-09-16 09:00 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2007-09-13 12:15 pm (UTC)I added spring onions and saracha to the mix as well. But your recipe adds a whole new dimention. My husband loves 5-spice (licks his finger and sticks it in the jar!) so I know he's love the addition of 5-spice, and a drizzle of sesame oil would be just lovely! Plus, it will tie in even better with the couscous!
Thanks for the ideas!
no subject
Date: 2007-09-16 09:01 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2007-09-14 07:02 am (UTC)I added a touch of fresh-squeezed orange juice to the marinade, too.
no subject
Date: 2007-09-16 08:45 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2012-04-04 09:12 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2012-04-10 08:47 am (UTC)