Seals

Apr. 11th, 2011 12:52 am
[personal profile] fitfool
Seals! I got to see hundreds (maybe even a thousand!) of seals this weekend. [livejournal.com profile] canyoncat said he was going to go looking for seals in Chatham, MA, and invited me along for the 20-mile walk. I was stiff and sore afterwards, but the soreness was well worth it! We started with spotting a few lone seals here and there along the way. And then he spotted the colony in the distance. Hundreds of them basking in the sand in the distance. I squinted. They looked like a bunch of rocks to me. We plodded on. And finally, the shapes in the distance did indeed start looking more like seals. And finally we were upon them. We had to keep our distance or else they'd hurry into the ocean and watch us warily, their heads bobbing in the gentle surf. Spent a few hours taking pictures and watching them lounge around napping, quarreling, and scritching themselves with their fins. I had never been so close to seals before (outside of an aquarium) so I was happy to be able to watch them. I wished I had brought a pair of binoculars though so I could get an even closer view.

Oh...and more seal stuff:
Cute video where a seal cuddles up to someone
Much better photos by CanyonCat


Peeking at the Monomoy Island Seal Colony in Chatham, MA
Peeking at the Monomoy Island Seal Colony in Chatham, MA





maps of Monomoy Island


A little ways south of Chatham, MA, along the Cape Cod National Seashore, there are Monomoy Islands. It used to be just one island and then a bad blizzard cleaved it into two islands. However, since then, the islands are now reconnected to the mainland. It doesn't show up on the maps but if you look at the satellite images, you can see that you can walk to the Monomoy Islands. Granted, it's a bit of a hike. It's about 9 miles to get from the Chatham Lighthouse to the Monomoy Island Lighthouse that's toward the southern tip of the islands. That's where we turned around. You can get there by boat and they run seal watching trips so that's an easier way to get to see the seals.


1st seal

First seal was spotted a little under 2 hours in to our walk. Just napping in the sun. Not a bad idea really.


dead eider bird and dead seal

I kept having trouble with identifying seals from a distance. At first I couldn't tell if the lump I saw was a seal or driftwood. And then after a while, I wondered if I were seeing a live seal or a corpse. We spotted 4 dead eider birds, one was ripped open by a peregrine falcon, blood spotting the surrounding sand with some seagulls standing around hopefully for a bite. Also saw this dead seal with a bit too much sand piled up on him.


seal bones

Bones of a long dead seal. There were still flies working on picking away at these bones.


tracks in the sand

On left, we kept following these dog tracks for mile after mile. Might've been a coyote though. We didn't see any people tracks near those dog tracks the farther we went. In the middle, that's looking back over the ground we had already covered. And on the right are some seal tracks. You can see where the two front fins plant themselves and then the fainter line of the tail fins dragging along in the middle. Some of the tracks showed seals that went a good ways onto shore, moving right up into the dunes sometimes.


seal colony in distance with Monomoy Lighthouse behind them

See the seal colony on the sand? They're not rocks like I had thought at first. That's the Monomoy Lighthouse in the distance behind them. It's not a working lighthouse any more though.


closer view of Monomoy Lighthouse

We walked to the lighthouse and then stopped for lunch. While there, two other men walked up to get some equipment from the keeper's house. They're fixing up the place and had gotten as far as gutting the inside and reshingling and painting the outside. Unfortunately, they'll need to wait for more grant money before they can fix up the inside too. Still, it provides shelter. They said they get researchers out there to do surveys of the wildlife and so they'll be able to stay there while they're in the field.


Spooked seals heading for the water

When the seals spotted us and got spooked, they would shuffle into the ocean and watch us warily from the water. They could move surprisingly quickly on land when they wanted to.


behind sand dunes

So we changed tactics and tried to sneak up on them from behind the sand dunes. We'd walk on the other side of the sand dunes, hidden from the seals' view. Then drop our packs and crawl up to the edge of the dune and peek our heads over.


hidden from view

This approach worked much better. We could hang out there for a while like this. I wished I had a long telephoto lens that could peek out from behind all those long grasses though.


group of seals watching us

Even with our precautions, many seals would spot us and watch. Some would continue to keep an eye on us. Others would look up and then slump back down to the sand and go back to sleep.


grey seal watching us

A watchful grey seal watched us watching them.




When we spotted just a single seal at a time, I thought I noticed a different odor and wondered if that was what the seals smelled like. Once there were a bunch of them together, the smell was unmistakably them. The smell reminded me of a farm and is apparently the smell of having lots of them grouped together as well as due to their lack of toilet training. So that smell that reminded me of a barnyard? That's the smell of manure.




Watching them lounge around on the beach. Apparently they like to bask in the sun and nap after they're done feeding. They look like giant slugs. Occasionally they would arch up, swivel slightly rotating their position, and then slump back to the sand and continue napping. Some would nap on their back, fin resting contentedly on their bellies. Some would lie on their side scritching themselves on the belly with their fins, sometimes scratching away at their face and heads. Sometimes they would shove into each other, as if telling someone to move over, and they'd end up bumping chests, seeming to fight for dominance.


yawning seal

This one's yawning. I think. Or maybe he's yowling. We heard all kinds of sounds. There was a background hum of a kind of moaning hooting sound. Mixed in were snorts, farting sounds, yowls that sounded like a cat.


these two look like they're talking

These two look like they're talking.


arched backs

As the tide was coming in, those closest to the water would start getting wet. Then you'd see a group of seals arch up so that their noses and tails were in the air, their body in a U. And then you'd see another seal come shuffling through the crowd and then flop down on a new patch of sand. As that seal passed by, the others would also slump back to the sand, and go back to dozing. It reminded me of being at a movie theater and seeing one row of people stand in a half crouch while someone apologetically brings popcorn back to their seat in the middle of the row.


pushed up on his fins

This little guy was propped up on his fins. Very cute!


one more seal on the beach

One last seal on the beach. Then I ran out of batteries.




Date: 2011-04-11 12:56 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] ex-girlwarl.livejournal.com
As sad as it is, I like the skeleton seal shot, it's really eerie and awesome. I love seals, jealous of your expedition! They're like sea dogs :)

I think being reincarnated as a seal would be nice.

Date: 2011-04-14 10:11 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] fitfool.livejournal.com
I think seals are really cute but they really don't look like dogs to me. More like giant slugs with cute faces :) I did like that skeleton for some reason. I felt a little morbid taking photos of the dead animals though. If I came back as an animal, I'd want to be a dog or maybe a cat. (a well-cared for one -- not a feral one)

Date: 2011-04-11 01:06 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] imaginarycircus.livejournal.com
Oooooo neat!! They are so pretty. I'm glad they are wary of people though!

Date: 2011-04-14 10:11 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] fitfool.livejournal.com
I was bummed about their wariness. I was SO tempted to go up to the baby seals and try to pet them. I resisted though.

Date: 2011-04-11 01:25 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] kishiriadgr.livejournal.com
We have seals out here without the great variation in fur colour. Ours are all black and look like Labrador retrievers with paddles instead of legs and paws.

Date: 2011-04-14 10:12 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] fitfool.livejournal.com
Do you get the elephant seals there too? My boyfriend was telling me about them and how they have funny looking snouts.

Date: 2011-04-15 03:31 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] kishiriadgr.livejournal.com
The ones in San Diego aren't elephant seals, no. Just the black "circus seal" kind.

Date: 2011-04-11 01:37 am (UTC)
ext_65558: The one true path (Burj al Arab)
From: [identity profile] dubaiwalla.livejournal.com
Excellent post. I loved both sets of pictures.

Date: 2011-04-14 10:12 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] fitfool.livejournal.com
And now I realize I should've tried taking a bunch of shots to photo-stitch together to give a sense of seeing that long line of seals and more seals. Ah well. Thanks for reading!

Date: 2011-04-11 09:00 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] canyoncat.livejournal.com
That is a really nice post. I am glad you had such a good time. I have binoculars, a couple pair actually, and didn't even think to bring them. Next time. :P

Date: 2011-04-14 10:12 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] fitfool.livejournal.com
Yeah...I never remember ahead of time to bring binoculars (not that I own any -- but I've borrowed some in the past and been wowed). Definitely had a great time. Thanks for inviting me along!

Date: 2011-04-15 10:04 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] canyoncat.livejournal.com
It was my pleasure... it is nice to have a friend who is not couch-potato. :)

Date: 2011-04-16 01:09 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] fitfool.livejournal.com
oh I have plenty of sedentary time too...just mine's mostly camped out in front of a computer screen. Aside from the daily runs, I can go several days in a row without leaving the apartment.

Date: 2011-04-11 09:49 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] pondhopper.livejournal.com
I've never seen seals in the wild but then I don't live near a coast with a seal population.
:)
So, I found this a very cool post indeed. I love all the pics, both yours and your friend's.

Date: 2011-04-14 10:12 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] fitfool.livejournal.com
Thanks for looking through all those photos. I was really excited to see all those seals.

Date: 2011-04-11 12:54 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] 88greenthumb.livejournal.com
Wonderful post...and photos, both yours and your friend's...Over the weekend, son, DIL and I were supposed to take their little girl to see the seals at a beach not too far from where we liven, but it was rainy, so we called it off. But here's the (kinda controversial) place: http://obrag.org/?p=10217.

Date: 2011-04-14 10:12 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] fitfool.livejournal.com
oh...why would the city be required to remove the seals? They didn't put them there, did they? Seems like it would be great to have an easy place to go seal watching.

Date: 2011-04-15 11:10 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] canyoncat.livejournal.com
Yeah, that's very disturbing and surprises me they would actually want to get rid of the seals.

Getting Rid of the Seals

Date: 2011-06-29 05:29 pm (UTC)
From: (Anonymous)
Hi,

I can understand why it would seem odd that people want to get rid of the seals - they are very cute and fun to watch. However, they also eat a ton of fish and attract large sharks. Aside from the casual fishers who do it for pleasure, there are many commercial fishermen whose income is being reduced because of the seal population explosion. And the sharks - they hurt tourism and also are just dangerous to have swimming around such a populated area. Sharks of the size they have been finding off the shores are not normal for the area - it's the seals that brought them there.

So, while cute, they bring a whole set of problems with them, and I think they should find a way to move them. People have already started shooting them from their boats- they found several dead seals with gun shot wounds to the head.

Date: 2011-04-11 11:39 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] canyoncat.livejournal.com
That video is adorable

Date: 2011-04-14 10:13 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] fitfool.livejournal.com
Glad you liked it!

Date: 2011-04-15 05:01 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] canyoncat.livejournal.com
I showed it to one of the women I work with and she was just amazed that we had so many seals in one place in MA. She had only seen the likes before on National Geographic. She showed it to her youngest boy and he was enthralled by it.

Date: 2011-04-12 09:34 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] slunickomoje.livejournal.com
That looks SO awesome!

I've been out searching for spotted salamanders over the last few days - no seals around here (wish there were!).

Date: 2011-04-14 10:13 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] fitfool.livejournal.com
Still a bit of a haul from you but he mentioned there's a seal colony around Portsmouth, NH too.

Date: 2011-04-16 09:14 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] slunickomoje.livejournal.com
Really! That might actually be a reasonable weekend trip! Cool!

Date: 2011-04-16 11:36 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] fitfool.livejournal.com
http://www.animaltourism.com/animals/seal.htm#NE
That link mentions "Isles of Shoals, NH" out of Portsmouth, NH as running seal watching trips. (though when I click through, I don't see mention of it on the website) Looks like there are some seals in Maine and Newburyport, MA too. But looks like Chatham, MA is the one with the biggest seal colony.

Date: 2011-04-17 08:39 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] slunickomoje.livejournal.com
Yay! That is so awesome - thank you! Jon and I are going to be in Maine next weekend, maybe I'll try to find a coastal adventure for us to go on while we're there!

Date: 2011-04-17 08:51 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] fitfool.livejournal.com
Very nice...what part of Maine?

Date: 2011-04-17 05:06 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] slunickomoje.livejournal.com
We'll be traveling around the state a bit - Jon is from Maine and we have friends from college who live there now!

Profile

fitfool

February 2014

S M T W T F S
      1
2345678
910 11 12131415
16171819202122
232425262728 

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Oct. 5th, 2026 11:43 pm
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios